Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Salad summers

There's just something about summer that says salad to me.  Maybe it's the opportunity to eat something light and crisp when it's so stinking hot and heavy outside.  Maybe it's all the fresh produce.  Or maybe it's any excuse to use the grill.  I love grilling.  But I don't really enjoy running back and forth to the grill when there's snow on the ground.

Whatever the reason, I love salads in the summertime.  I don't like dressings, so I do get a bit generous with the croutons.  I regret nothing.


So when Payless/Kroger and MyMagazineSharing sent me some coupons for free samples of some of their delicious produce, I was excited to try something a little different.  I am a big fan of romaine lettuce, but am not the most adventurous eater when it comes to new foods (and I've only been eating salads at all for about 3 or 4 years...).  I really liked the Living Lettuce (it really did stay fresher longer with the roots attached) and the Artisan Lettuce.  I added some tender, grilled steak, croutons, and a little shredded cheese.  It was delicious!

I highly recommend the produce section of Payless/Kroger and will definitely buy these items again.  I also love their baby potatoes.  If you get the chance to grill out, I heartily endorse the good, old-fashioned foil packet meals.  I first made these in scouts, but now I use steak instead.  Some thinly sliced steak, baby potatoes and carrots, a bit of light margarine, and seasonings wrapped up in a little foil package, grilled to tender perfection...

I really do love summer foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment